Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Over Hashtagged

What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Romans 8:31

I plead guilty.  I totally missed the point.

At one point (a few years ago) I was riding a wave of emotion related to our adoption progress and hashtagged #ifGodisforuswhocanbeagainstus.  Guess what?  Exactly what I thought would happen is exactly what fell apart.  That instance rocked us and I still feel the residual effects of my misguided ideas.  It wasn't that God was wrong, it was that I did a little origami with what I thought He was saying and that whole thing crashed and burned.

Over the last bit as God has pointed out to me what my issue was I've come to realize a few things:

1- Hashtagging entire sentences should be outlawed #justsayin #whydowedothat #wewilllaughatourselveswhenweareold

2- I never Hashtag unless I'm being opinionated or oversimplifying and I probably shouldn't do either one.#justsayno

In this case I just forgot that the entire rest of Romans 8  has a theme of suffering.  I totally oversimplified and in the end got the exact wrong message.  If I would have read the rest of the chapter I would have seen that the point is that God loved me and saved me and is with me despite suffering that may happen in life.  He is near.  He is for me even if the entire world is against me. Nothing can separate me from Jesus.  The point was NOT God is for you, so you'll get your way. The verse I opened to was not a crystal ball to tell me the future. #badtheology

3- I took what was going on in my life + a verse that goes on lots of coffee mugs = things will happen like I think they will. #Goddoesn'tworkonmytimeframe #hurtswhenyoufalldown

4- What the verse ACTUALLY says is what I needed to hear the most for the next season of life.  When a whole bunch of stuff is disappointing, feels hopeless, or just plain hurts what I need to know is that nothing can separate me from the love of Jesus. #verse39 #preachtoyourself

5- God's actual plan (that He hadn't filled me in on yet) was so much better!  I wouldn't have ever guessed it.  I would have probably been scared and run away. #yourthoughtsarehigher #adoptateen #Godwritesabetterstory

He is so much more complex that I can understand.  And I'm glad for that.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice thoughts Holly. It's a good thing we aren't in charge.

    ReplyDelete