Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Temporary Home

Have you ever lived somewhere that you knew would be temporary? The 3-month or year long in-between place?

It's interesting that when I know something is going to be temporary I just kind of angst at the place the entire time. No reason to put things on the walls. I might leave half of the boxes in the corner and only forage through when I happen to need a glue stick for the first time in 6 months or sandals I totally forgot I had.

We've been in a temporary house for almost 5 months now following a kitchen fire that looked really minor but caused enough damage that the kitchen, living room and dining room had to be completely gutted. Only things that were sentimental were saved and we are still in the process of replacing stuff. God has been so good to us in this process. He provided for us through rental insurance (best thing I've ever bought in my LIFE!), through friends who graciously let us stay with them and who invited us to eat with them in the middle of getting everything settled down., but

We see some great things in this temporary place. But it is still temporary

I've been thinking a lot about how for Christians we should be seeing this world and this life as a very short and temporary place in the light of eternity with God. I can't even choose which verse to point out because there are SO MANY. I think I might need to do a word study on eternity and eternal because there is so much in the Bible about thinking about that rather than the here and now and yet what I do in life is usually think about now and how to make my life better short term. I think I've been missing the point.

1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Colossians 3:1-3
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

I really don't know how to do that. When we're making decisions as a family to think about what is better in the really long term rather that what makes us most comfortable. When things just are hard in life to not let depression take over but to see that this is a short season in light of forever.

So that is what I've been thinking about lately.
We're just passing through.
Enjoy today, (or just get through today) knowing that it is a season and not the ultimate goal.
Seek what is above.

No comments:

Post a Comment